Skip to Main Content



Form W-4
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Employee's Withholding Certificate
▶ Complete Form W-4 so that your employer can withhold the correct federal income tax from your pay.
▶ Give Form W-4 to your employer.
▶ Your withholding is subject to review by the IRS.
OMB No. 1545-0074
Step 1:
(a) First name and middle initial Last name
City or town, state, and ZIP code
(b) Social security number
▶ Does your name match the
name on your social security
card? If not, to ensure you get
credit for your earnings, contact
SSA at 800-772-1213 or go to
(c) Single or Married filing separately
Married filing jointly or Qualifying widow(er)
Head of household (Check only if you're unmarried and pay more than half the costs of keeping up a home for yourself and a qualifying individual.)
Complete Steps 2-4 ONLY if they apply to you; otherwise, skip to Step 5. See page 2 for more information on each step, who can
claim exemption from withholding, when to use the estimator at, and privacy.
Step 2:
Multiple Jobs
or Spouse
Complete this step if you (1) hold more than one job at a time, or (2) are married filing jointly and your spouse
also works. The correct amount of withholding depends on income earned from all of these jobs.
Do only one of the following.
(a) Use the estimator at for most accurate withholding for this step (and Steps 3-4); or
(b) Use the Multiple Jobs Worksheet on page 3 and enter the result in Step 4(c) below for roughly accurate
withholding; or
(c) If there are only two jobs total, you may check this box. Do the same on Form W-4 for the other job. This
option is accurate for jobs with similar pay; otherwise, more tax than necessary may be withheld . . ▶
TIP: To be accurate, submit a 2022 Form W-4 for all other jobs. If you (or your spouse) have self-employment
income, including as an independent contractor, use the estimator.
Complete Steps 3-4(b) on Form W-4 for only ONE of these jobs. Leave those steps blank for the other jobs. (Your withholding will
be most accurate if you complete Steps 3-4(b) on the Form W-4 for the highest paying job.)
Step 3:
If your total income will be $200,000 or less ($400,000 or less if married filing jointly):
Multiply the number of qualifying children under age 17 by $2,000 ▶ $
Multiply the number of other dependents by $500 . . . . ▶ $
Add the amounts above and enter the total here . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3 $
Step 4
(a) Other income (not from jobs). If you want tax withheld for other income you
expect this year that won't have withholding, enter the amount of other income here.
This may include interest, dividends, and retirement income . . . . . . . . 4(a) $
(b) Deductions. If you expect to claim deductions other than the standard deduction and
want to reduce your withholding, use the Deductions Worksheet on page 3 and enter
the result here . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4(b) $
(c) Extra withholding. Enter any additional tax you want withheld each pay period . . 4(c) $
Step 5:
Under penalties of perjury, I declare that this certificate, to the best of my knowledge and belief, is true, correct, and complete.

Employee's signature (This form is not valid unless you sign it.)

Employer's name and address First date of
Employer identification
number (EIN)
For Privacy Act and Paperwork Reduction Act Notice, see page 3. Cat. No. 10220Q Form W-4 (2022)